Moorhead, Minn. – Ten Wolves hit the mat for the Northern State University wrestling team from the NCAA Super Region V Tournament. Six Wolves advanced to the fifth place match of their individual weight classes, while Kaden Campbell punched his ticket to the NCAA National Championships.
THE QUICK DETAILS
Team Score: Northern tallied 57.0 team points, finishing in eighth overall from the regional.
NCAA TICKET PUNCHED
- Kaden Campbell advanced to the championship match at 184 pounds with quarterfinal and semifinal victories over Dalton Hahn of Upper Iowa (SV 6-4) and Trevor Turriff of Minnesota State (Fall 1:14).
- The senior faced off against Chance Helmick of St. Cloud State in the championship bout, falling 7-3 in the match. Helmick entered the match undefeated this season.
- Campbell is the 68th national qualifier in program history.
- Dayne Morton finished his season going 1-2 on the day with a 5-1 decision victory over Ethan Cota of Augustana.
- Kenny Jones went 1-3 from the tournament, notching a win over Seth Hutchinson of MSU Moorhead (MD 15-3) in the consolation rounds. He finished in sixth place at 133 pounds.
- Caden Moore finished his freshman campaign with a 1-3 record on the day, taking sixth overall. Moore notched a win over Tanner Crissler of Minot State (Dec 11-9).
- Walker Carr battled to a fifth place finish at 157 pounds, with a 3-2 record on the day. He recorded wins over Braydon Ortloff of MSU Moorhead (Dec 8-4), Tanner Anthony of Wisconsin Parkside (Dec 5-4), and Zachary Berry of Minot State (Dec 7-2) in the fifth place match.
- Billy Holtan finished the day with a 2-3 record overall in sixth place at 165 pounds. His two wins came over Justin Dravis of MSU Moorhead (Fall 1:25) and Nathan Baca of Minot State (Dec 9-5).
- Diego Gallegos went 3-2 on the day as well, taking fifth at 197 pounds. He tallied wins over Je-Mario Jones of Minot State (MD 11-0), Ryan Stottler of UMary (Dec 9-4), and Job Ayala of Wisconsin Parkside (Dec 12-8) in the fifth place match.
- Harrison Townsend finished his day in sixth with a 1-3 record overall, notching a win over Triston Westerlund of Upper Iowa (TB 4-2).
Kaden Campbell will represent Northern State University at the NCAA National Championships March 8-9 in Cleveland, Ohio. Brackets, seeding, and schedule information will be released at a later date.